Friday, July 3, 2009

Thing #10 of 11.5

Well this one is a real challenge for me. I have played around with SecondLife for a couple of hours now. I even left it for a while, thought about it and then returned again. I am totally intimidated by this. It took me forever to figure out my avatar's clothing. I thought I had an outfit I wanted and then the system crashed-- several times--- I even had problems with login and received a message to wait. I finally did manage to get back on and transported my half dressed avatar to a nice peaceful garden, but everything costs $. Then I found myself listening to some inappropriate conversations, so I decided to fly away to be lost another time! Needless to say---frustration set in again.
I know my students would absolutely love this and according to other posts and some blogs I have read, it can be educational. Maybe I would feel more comfortable with the TeenSecond Life. I'm not sure I could use this with my students until I got the hang of it myself, so I will continue to play with it and withhold judgement at this time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read your post. I messed around with second life last week but wasn't convinced that I could ever be comfortable enough with it (for a number of reasons) to use it with students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. please check out the locations given to you in Thing #10. Those represent some of the educational areas and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be more than happy to meet you "inworld" and show you around. I felt the same way until Mary Miner met me and showed me all around, as well as how to change clothes, hair, etc. There are some AMAZING sites in Second Life, but you have to know how to get to them, and then what to do when there. For example, there is a to scale reproduction of the Alamo, complete with guided walking tour, many different primary resources embedded within, and even a live guide who will gladly meet you there and share some of his family's personal history. You can also visit the Sistene chapel, the Dresden gallery, travel inside a blood vessel and "bust" clots...last night I even explored a cavern completely dedicated to Literary Archetypes. But, like I said, if you don't know how to get around and where to go, it is not too hard to find yourself in uncomfortable situations. Email me (rebecca.singley@springbranchisd.com), and we can arrange a time to "meet", if you'd like. I promise you won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete